The conception for Wilga Feedlot began in the early 1990’s as a way of finishing the progeny at “Wilga”. It didn’t take long before it was realised that a commercial feeding enterprise would be a valuable asset to the business. In 1993 construction began and in 1996 expansion continued to a total capacity of 1000 head. The feedlot allowed for a vertically integrated business model with grain and stock produced on “Wilga” being maximised.
As the feedlot has continued to grow, upgrades followed to include a fully automated touch screen grain processing facility and more recently, a liquid batching system. These improvemnts have been carried out to maximise efficencies and better manage commodity handling and usage.
This has been complimented with comprehensive feedback and benchmarking data available for suppliers of cattle and has enabled Wilga Feedlot to source high performance cattle with a proven history
In 2009 Mike and Danni moved to Wilga and since then Mike has been managing the feedlot alongside Ian. Previously Mike had been in management of several large feedyards, and he was very excited to move home and help manage the family business. Ian and Mike, along with our employees Peter and Chris, make a fantastic team and together they ensure they provide highest level of care 365 days a year.
As a Nationally accredited feedlot, we pride ourselves in producing a safe food product while meeting production targets and keeping animal welfare of the highest importance. At the most recent Beex Ex conference, a national bi-annual event run by ALFA, we were Overall Runner-Up in the Elanco Feedlot of the year Compeitition in the catergory for feedlots with up to 3000 head capacity. We were also awarded Winner in both the Animal Welfare Responsibility Catergory and Environment Responsibility Catergory.
Recently we completed construction to expand Wilga feedlot to a capacity of 3000 head.